Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Helping vs. Enabling

So this issues has been one of the many things that have been annoying me over the last few days.

As I wrote in this here blog two years ago I had to move in with my Dad and his witch *ahem* I mean wife until I got myself together after having been laid off from my job.

Fast forward two years and I finally took care of the things that were preventing me from moving (with some assistance from Dad, my savings and my 401K). So now that I am preparing to secure my place and plan my departure he wants to throw a monkey wrench in my plans, my little sister.

A little back ground...lil sister; went to school for massage therapy, got licensed, hopped from spa to spa, did not bring in much income, spends frivolously, going to school full time with no and I mean NO steady job and no inclination to even get a part time. All of the latter are reasons why I was incredulous when my father said that he thought we were getting a place together. No, no and no.


So he knows someone who used to rent houses and he said that he would look in to see if he could rent us a house large enough for me, her and my three beautiful children. When I hear this all I see is $$$$$ and even though he claims he is going to subsidize her rent, like he does her car note, insurance and gives her money because she has no job. I am still seeing this $$$$$ and feeling increasingly uncomfortable with the whole idea.


I mean damn it is bad enough I struggle taking care of me and my children but I don't want to be stuck with footing the bill for a 26 almost 27 year old adult. It is entirely to much of a risk that quite frankly I don't want to nor feel comfortable taking on. Secondly, I have lived in a home within the last two years with approximately 3-9 people (yes the house is rather large) and quite frankly I want my own space. Selfish as it may be I want my own privacy (as much as one can get with kids living in the home)and I don't want to feel as though I have to consistently police the bad habits of others and who is brought into the house. Plus after a while we don't get along and if I am going to be living with someone that I am going to fight with, then it is going to be someone of the opposite sex that I can have make up sex with at the end of the argument. I so wish I could express these sentiments (well not that last sentiment. LOL) but it is going to spark a serious flame with my Dad, with him accusing me of giving up on her and insisting that he is going to help her no matter what.

Granted, I love my sister but in this respect she needs to grow the fuck up and he needs to let her. I'm tired of the I go to school full time excuse. Shit I went to school full time and worked before there was such a thing as online classes with children in tow and I managed to do what I needed to do for me and the children.Even in times when I had no job I knew what to do and where to go in order to make sure my most essential bills ie; house, car, food and utilities were taken care of. I just want to get on the roof and scream "STOP ENABLING HERRRRRRRRRRR!"

I have no clue what to say or what to do right now... I take that back. I know what I am going to do, I am going to move forth with my plans accordingly; this was just a straight rant.

1 comment:

  1. I would say for your own piece/peace of mind tell them both no. Your home should be the one place you can just be a peace and that's not gonna happen. My sister has a 6 month grace period and thankfully parents that have money for a downpayment for a condo or townhouse for her once she figures where she wants to live. Unless you know the end date don't set yourself up!

    ReplyDelete