Friday, April 3, 2009

Job Loyalty

Today I got a call to interview for a position with a Federal Government Agency. After I got off the phone I started to have anxiety about interviewing for this position because I don't interview very well. How can I work in HR, in the area of staffing and recruitment specifically and not interview well?? Hell if I know, I just don't. Anyway, after I stopped panicking about this interview I kind of started to feel bad about the possibility of leaving my job. I have been there for over a year so it is not like I just started but I do know that I am relied on heavily for everything and a large part of my job is hand holding both candidates, hiring managers and the recruiters I support. Yeah they would replace my ass but it would not be a quick replacement, thus they would be in a bind... the thought of that makes my stomach knot up.

This whole situation reminds me of a girlfriend that I have, we all refer to her as "The Hustla". She has zero job loyalty and does not feel bad about it. As soon as she gets a new job she updates her resume and start pushing it around and networking in order to find a better gig than what she has. A better gig could come through a few hours or a few days after starting a new gig and she would be handing in her resignation on her way out the door. In some way I admire her boldness and her ability to got after more than what she has.

Anyway... her philosophy on this subject has always been, employers have no loyalty to you so why have loyalty to them? She has always stood firm on the premise that if you die tomorrow they would have an opening to fill your position before the funeral services were to be held. True, true.

I am not going to say that her expressed feelings on the situation have sueded my position on it because it did not. My stomach still knots up at thought of leaving my employer in a bind but at the end of the day the fact that I want to do something different, the stability of a government job, cost of living raise each year and the ability to be promoted quicker is enough to make me drink a whole bottle of Milk of Magnesia and keep it pushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment