Sunday, October 4, 2009

Getting Back to Doing What I LOVE...

For the first time in over 10 years I picked up a professional camera and set out to take pictures of my daughter as to have a selection to choose from for her birthday invitations. After having been far removed from photography (snapping pics at random events does not count) for so long I was feeling rather nervous about my performance as technology has changed since I first picked up the Kodak Pentax camera and loaded film in those old cameras that we used when I worked at the photo studio (I know I seriously dated myself in this entry)... things have changed ALOT.

Not only has the technology changed but I have changed. When I was a photographer the best part of my job was working with the kids.It is cool to bring out the smiles and giggles in even the most serious, shy and/or reserved kid. The only issue I had were the parents. Parents fuck up everything, more so for wanting to have their kids pose, smile and look a certain way in a picture opposed to allow the child to relax, be themselves, and get comfortable. Today I became that parent. I felt like I was in an inner struggle with my creative, artistic side and the parental side that had a visions for how I wanted my child to look in these pictures and was going to make that vision come to fruition even if it meant I had to threaten the girl.

At some point I gave in and remembered that the best thing about working with kids was allowing them to do what they wanted and to let them be comfortable with allowing their little personality shine through in the photos; it made the job so much easier. In the end I changed my camera settings, told her to go run free and just took candid shots of her. I ended up getting some really good shots and I was less frustrated with her in the end. I so can't wait to get back out there snapping shots again. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment