Monday, August 30, 2010

I Did IT!

The month of August has been such a long and busy month. I finally moved about two weeks ago. I have been working hard to get my things unpacked and settled. I thought I would not have a hard time adjusting to living on my own but I realize that it is going to take a while for me to get used to my new environment.

My first night in my new home I took a bold step and cut my hair off. I remember co washing in the shower and drying my hair afterward preparing to twist it so it could dry over night. I stood at the bathroom mirror just starring at my hair, not really wanting to twist it or do anything to it except for put some leave in conditioner in it and go to bed. Then I wondered what it all looked like underneath and thought it would not hurt at all to snip a few pieces from the front, after all if I did not like what I saw then I could always cover it up with a twisted style and one of my big head bands.

The best laid plans don't always pan out how you plan for them too. Needless to say once I cut that first piece I kept on cutting more and more until the only thing left were a few inches of naturally curly hair. I suppose I did what my heart really desired as I had been wanting to big chop for about a week by that point. I was so ready to deal with what was awaiting me underneath all that processed hair. It turned out to be slightly uneven so I ended up going to the Hair Cuttery to have it evened up. Most everyone that I came in contact with seemed to like the new look and I have gotten some suggestions to keep it short like this but I won't. I am excited for my hair to start growing out and to be able to wear twists, my natural curls and twisted updos...the possibilities excite me.

I found it rather funny how some people don't understand the whole process of going from relaxed to natural (or going natural period). I know it may seem that every one is doing it across the country but every one has their own personal reasons for doing it and for what ever reason that is it should be respected. It is funny how most of us have been trained to become reliant on chemical straitening, which is fine if that is what you prefer but come on folks don't push the creamy crack on others like you a damn crack dealer losing your profits because folks are deciding to go to rehab ( it has recently been reported that relaxer sales are down). LOL!


Anyway...For some reason I truly feel as though I have walked into a weird season that is bringing about a lot of major life changes for me. I feel as though I am coming into my own, being more of myself and doing more of the things that I want to do and not really being too concerned with the opinions of others (not that I was concerned in the first place).

My friend, Cylia posted a quote of her blog, "If you have accomplished all that you have planned for yourself, you have not planned enough.-Meddigo Message" and it really struck a cord with me. I have accomplished so many things over the last two years that I have been feeling a little lost as if I have entirely too much time on my hands but nothing really productive to do with it. It seems as though I sit down to plan additional things I would like to accomplish I completely draw a blank. But I know, that I know that I know that I have not planned enough and some times I feel as though I am wasting precious time. Maybe I need to have God order my steps on this one...

Have blessed day folks.

1 comment: