Friday, January 23, 2009

Tired of Faking IT....

Over the last year I have come to grips with the fact that I am an anti social introvert with extrovert tendencies, therefore when people approach me about why I don't attend certain social function or why I don't thrust myself into certain social situations I simply say, "because I am anti social". I have embraced it and why try to fake it to make it, when it (being non anti social) is not going to happen?

The thing I find so funny is that no one believes me. They think I just have a dry sense of humor and an unwillingness to go along with the status quo. For instance, my job is moving to another building on the other side town in March and some sentimental sap (s) decided that it would be wonderful to have a building wide, farewell fiesta pizza party (insert excitement here). :-/

My overly social co worker asked if I would be attending said party and I said, "No". She asked me why not and I told her the truth, "because I am anti social" this was followed by laughter and accusations of being mean. I simply don't get it??? Why don't people just understand and accept that there are some who like to float amongst people, have small talk get into everyone's business and then there are the ones who just don't? Especially in this situation in having to deal with the loss of my office (we are going into a cube environment) I realllly don't want to have light discussion over pizza and soda with a whole bunch of people. I smile and say hello in passing, take it and cherish it.

Anyway...

I have a question... is allowing some one to believe something that is false a lie? For example, if I say my leg was sore a few days ago and the person assumes that because it was sore a few days ago that it is still sore and I will not be able to take a walk in the park. Yet I allow said person to believe their assumption of my situation and we just sit and watch TV instead of walking in the park, is that a lie?

2 comments:

  1. Yes that is lying..by omission.
    And you need to embrace your anti-social tendencies man. Show up to these events and make everyone play on YOUR terms. Tell everyone you are at the party, despite a bad case of hemmroids..watch how suddenly you are comfortable and they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn @ lying by omission.

    ROFL!@ making everyone play on my terms. That sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete