Sunday, May 17, 2009

Inspiration...

This weekend I went to Delaware to witness my cousin walk across the stage and receive her degree in Elementary Education from Delaware State University. Let me just say that this will be the most memorable graduation I have ever had the pleasure of attending because it RAINED and it rained hard. Despite the fact that the wind was blowing the rain in every direction known to man the school administration still felt the need to continue with commencement activities OUTSIDE as scheduled. Damn, I mean talk about rain or shine.

Well, my ass looked to good to sit int he rain so me along with many other family members stowed away in an auditorium of one of their buildings. Though the screen shot was a mix of grainy and with rain drops on the lens we still heard her name loud and clear and screamed uncontrollably at witness her accomplishment.

Before I get into the the actual inspiration of it all I will talk about the funny moments:

- When the valedictorian went to go speak to the class he cap blew off and as she yelped she went chasing her cap across the stage.

- They were moving so fast that a graduate was caught on tape walking across the stage holding a full fledged conversation on her cell phone and accepting her degree at the same time. Hilarity at its best.

Anyway...

After 14 years and a few months I am down to the completing two of the last three classes that I have to finish in order for me to graduate. Honestly, I am beginning to feel the burn out from these classes more so this statistics class but I am hanging in and trying to get it done. Shoot trying to make sure my balances are paid and I have money for the next quarter is burn out enough as it is. However, seeing my cousin walk across the stage today and hearing her talk about how hard it was for her as times to keep going, she did it and finished. That gave me the extra push that I needed to really be on the grind school wise in order to see this thing through to the end. Additionally, as I was going back and forth on my decision to participate in commencement activities in December watching her and talking to her today made me change my mind and as much as I want to give Strayer the middle finger salute from the comfort of my own home, I felt I can make a much greater statement doing it in person. LOL! :)

And to think after September I will be with the ranks of other college Alumni who are coming out of grace and will have to begin the task of paying back the money they borrowed to finance their expensive ass education. Not looking forward to student loan repayment and may actually start at some bodies grad school in the Spring so I can push those bad boys off longer. At this point I don't have it all figured out but I will find away to manage it all.

Man, just thinking about what is a head makes me want to be a kid again. Three meals, apple juice, two snacks and a mid day nap.

None the less I suppose the late nights, doing my home work by the light of my laptop at night, finding creative ways to bridge the financial gap and occasionally arguing for a better grade will be worth it in the end just to have the accomplishment met.

No comments:

Post a Comment