Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Joys of Parenthood: The Back Seat Driver

I know today is 9/11 however I am choosing not to remember such a day. It was a little to much this morning to leave out the house for work at the same time as my Dad and to wonder will he come home today? Or, will it be like 2001 when I thought I had lost him due to plane going into his new office, he was supposed to be moving into at the Pentagon? I now digress...

All I could say this morning is from the mouths of babes. One thing I know I can expect from my children is for them to check me when I am wrong or when they feel I am wrong. I accidentally cuss around my daughter or the boys and I get, "Mom don't say that!" in unison.
I could express a great disdain for something or some one and I get told to "be nice". I suppose it is good to know that they actually learn the things we teach them and have no issue holding me or any one else for that matter accountable for their mistakes.

So, this morning was no different (though I did not do anything). I was driving to drop Lil bit off at school and she is in the back trying to dictate to me which radio station to play because she did not want to particularly listen to the Russ Parr Morning show this morning. She felt as though Steve Harvey was more appropriate, therefore she was telling me which button to push to get Steve. Negative. I go to work, I pay the car note, I am the parent chill out eat your lil pop tart and hush.

As I was turning into the school parking lot a car was coming in the opposite direction. Mind you I have been driving since I was 16 with very little accidents (eyes darting from side to side), I know how to drive, I know what I am doing however my 2 almost 3 year old had no faith in my driving ability as she screamed, "Pay Attention!"

Ok, so I am thinking she is talking to herself. You know, kids play and they do that from time to time. But no, she was yelling at me. So on the way into the day care I get a lecture on the importance of paying attention and how I need to pay attention.

Mhm, I suppose I will remember and regurgitate this "pay attention" lecture the next time she drops jelly on the floor by way of improperly eating a PBJ sandwich.

2 comments:

  1. If my son tried to keep me from cursing, I'd tell him to shut his bitch ass up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I can see you doing that with an adult but you wouldn't do that to the kids. Would you?

    ReplyDelete