Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Complaining, I Suppose

This no complaining challenge is gets a little sticky at times. What could be just a simple opinion can be viewed as a complaint or worse it can easily turn into a complaint. I will be so glad when the end of the month comes that way I won't have to be too conscious (I will still remain slightly conscious) about the level of my complaining; though it seems I really have not been doing much of it prior to the start of the challenge.

Anyway, I am about to walk that fine line of expressing my opinion/sharing observation and complaining.

I was walking down the hall and noticed they were advertising that there is to be an ice cream social today. I LOVE ice cream and it is my weakness and as I was contemplating going to this social in order to get that cold sweet treat that I love so much, I realized that it would require for me to actually sit and have small talk with folks. Now, I don't mind talking to people but I much prefer to talk to people that 1) I know or I am some what familiar with and 2) that I actually like or like something about, therefore I figured I would try to sweet talk, punk what ever you want to call it some one in to bringing me back some ice cream.

Taking this a step further, why does it seem as though companies use enticing things to lure the anti social out their offices? Why does it seem as though it is forced socialization? Why does it seem as though they make you have to choose between free (insert what ever here) and the want to just stay by your damn self?

Yes, I do understand the purpose of socializing especially in the work place but come one now, I have been coming out of my office to do the office rounds and speak to every one. Is that not enough? That is ok, I am going up the street to the store to buy my own ice cream and keep it in the freezer here at work; that way I can have ice cream in the comfort of my own office every day alll day if I so choose.

I really wonder how many people who attend these things feel the same way as I??

2 comments:

  1. Since you say you understand it, explain to me the importance of socializing in the work place, because i don'tknow

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theory behind it is, you would come off as a personable person, some one that people would want to be around and will not feel intimidated to approach therefore you are considered a "good fit" personality wise with in your department and/or company which may make you more likely to move a head (or move ahead faster) with in your company.

    Also it is good for establishing relationships for networking purposes, never know who knows who and if/when you will need something.

    ReplyDelete