Friday, September 26, 2008

What's Your Price?

I was on CNN's website yesterday and came across an interview with a Louisiana lawmaker trying to to push a law/program that will pay low income mothers $1k to get their tubes tided, in efforts to decrease the stress on the welfare system down there.

I told my girlfriend about it because I know she is a proponent of forced sterilization in instances where folks who can't afford children, won't stop having them. When I told her about it she jokingly (at least I hope) said that she would tie her tubes for 1k because she was broke.

This morning as I was getting ready I was thinking about our other conversations that we have had over the last few month about what we would or would not do for money or to ease our financial woes. It just made me wonder how far would anyone go? What is your price and what would you do for that price?

Me, personally? I don't know, what my price is and I clearly don't know what I would do for said price.... what ever it may be.

I truly think that my growing up in the conditions that I grew up in has made it so I can live under the conditions of being broke; as clothes shopping for us kids consisted of us going to the fabric store and picking out a pattern of our choice along with the fabric for my mother to sew our clothes. Once I hit 15, 16 years of age I was able to get a job after school and work thus in my mother's eyes I was on my own to fin for myself (i.e. cloth, feed etc;) so I had to figure out a way to make sure I had all that I needed.

I suppose growing up teetering on the poverty line has always placed me in a state of not being phased by the concept of money and how much of it I have or what I will do to get it. I have always been thankful and content to have the things that I needed in life and always sat down writing out lists and plans on how I am going to increase my finances. <~~~ hey I like to do certain things that need funding.

Yet and still I know how to stretch a dollar... ok in these times I would say five dollars but still I can do it, I know how to get creative with it. LOL!

Anyway... at this time my answer to my own question really is I don't know. I am pretty sure I have a price and a limit to how far I will go or what I will do; but I have not discovered it nor do I particularly want to.

So, what say you? What would you do and how much are you charging?


No comments:

Post a Comment