Monday, August 18, 2008

Scary Things, Dislikes and Everything In Between

When I was 10 years old my family and I had moved from our house to an apartment that did not have a washer and dryer in the unit, thus we had to utilize the laundry room down stairs. The laundry room also doubled as a storage room, so each tenant had a good size storage closet (approximately 10 in total) down there. The whole laundry room was approximately 700 sq. feet in size. The only light down there was the one that hung directly over the washer and dryer the rest of the laundry room was pitch black.

One night my mother sent me down stairs to put the clothes she had in the washer into the dryer for her. The door was left unlocked and opened, this having been my first time down there I did not know any better but Lord was I scared shitless when I got down there and it was dark as all hell and the only light there began to flicker off and on. I knew if I did not do what she asked me to do then an ass whippin was emanate (those came very frequent with out rhyme or reason behind them most times) so I figure I would quickly put the clothes in the dryer and roll.

As I opened up the lid to the washer I heard one of the storage bin doors make a loud clap followed by a crash from out of the darkness and I JETTED. I was a thick kid and ran slow but that night I was FLO JO EXPRESS for real. I had the fear of God in me and I was ready and prepared for any ass whippin she had to hand out to me that night. Ever since then I don't do laundry rooms. If I am looking for an apartment and that apartment does not have a washer and dryer inside of it then you can forget it.

I remember when my ex husband and I moved into our first apartment we paid extra a month in rent just so we could have a washer and dryer. Bless his whole heart, he tried his hardest to convince me that it was ok to use the laundry room, which was located right next to our apartment. He showed me that it was fully lit, there was a lock on it and everything. I also knew that he would always protect me from harm but I did not give a damn. In him being the good husband that he was he respected my fear and conceded to paying an extra $50 a month just so we could have a washer and dryer in our apartment.

...funny how you plan for your life to go one way and it goes in a completely opposite direction... I suppose there is purpose in everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment