Thursday, July 24, 2008

Black In America...

I have been keeping up with this documentary since it first started airing on CNN in June. I found the first segment which gave us an in depth look at Martin Luther King, his death and the Civil Rights Movement and I must say I was rather engulfed (I love black history).

When advertisements for last night's segment began airing I got excited for they were going to look at life of the black family and the black woman. My girlfriend and I sat up last night on the phone and watched the segment together (as we do with every TV show) and in speaking for myself I was rather disappointed.

The segment was not what I expected and though I know they can fit only but so much in a two hour time period there were some stories in there that could have been included in tonight's segment, Black In America: The Black Man.

I would not venture to say that what was shown placed a negative out look on black women in America but I feel some serious and growing issues that we are dealing with were greatly over looked, ie; mental health issues, reproductive health issues, sexual abuse etc;

I am going to watch tonight's segment and hopefully my outlook will change. This one thing I will say though... I am not against spoken word but dude doing spoken word between each section of last nights segment was highly irritating and I felt he took away from the seriousness of the that segment of the documentary. I HOPE he is not on tonight's segment for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment